Thinking of adding more greens to your vegetable diet? Brussels sprouts often have a bad reputation, but did you know that they offer a range of health benefits and can reduce the risk of many health conditions? I recently stumbled across a Smashed Brussels Sprouts recipe and it is, by far, my favorite. The best part is that it’s so easy AND it’s cheesy! I hope you enjoy this dish as much as I did.
Smashed Brussels Sprouts
2 lb. Brussels sprouts
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. chopped thyme
Freshly ground black pepper
1 c. shredded mozzarella
1/4 c. freshly grated Parmesan
Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 425° and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Prepare an ice bath in a large bowl.
2. Blanch Brussels sprouts: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add Brussels sprouts and cook until bright green and very tender, about 10 minutes. Add Brussels sprouts to ice bath to cool then drain.
3. On a large baking sheet, toss blanched Brussels sprouts with olive oil, garlic and thyme. Using the end of a small glass or mason jar, press down on the Brussels sprouts to smash them into a flat patty. Season each smashed Brussels sprout with salt and pepper, then sprinkle mozzarella and Parmesan on top.
4. Bake until the bottoms of the sprouts are crispy and the cheese is melted and golden, about 20 minutes.
5. Garnish with parsley and serve warm.
Per Serving: Calories: 93 |Carbs: 10.8 g |Fat: 4.7 g | Protein: 5.2 g | Sodium: 77 mg | Sugars: 2.5 g
Recipe from: Delish.Tweet