Looking for a yummy grab-and-go breakfast? I am all about convenience in the morning so I love that these egg muffin cups can be made in advance. The recipe provided is simply a suggestion; however, I encourage you to get creative and add extra ingredients you like to these egg muffin cups. Try adding bell peppers, tomatoes, jalapenos, zucchini, onion, etc. The possibilities are endless!
Yields: 12 egg muffin cups
1 cup cooked breakfast sausage, bacon, or turkey sausage
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup baby spinach- roughly chopped
1 cup mushrooms
8 eggs, or 12 egg whites
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese, or reduced-fat cheese
Salt and garlic to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Grease a standard nonstick 12-slot muffin pan with cooking spray and set aside.
3. Crumble cooked bacon/sausage and set aside.
4. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
5. Once hot, add in oil, mushrooms and spinach.
6. Sauté for 2 minutes.
7. Season with salt and garlic and remove from heat.
8. Crack eggs/egg whites into a bowl and whisk together.
9. Stir in cooked mushrooms, spinach, shredded cheese and crumbled sausage/bacon.
10. Pour the egg mixture evenly into the prepared muffin pan. Egg mixture will expand while cooking- so do not fill muffin cups completely!
11. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the tops are firm to the touch and eggs are cooked.
12. Cool slightly and serve immediately!
13. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for about 4 days.
14. These may also be frozen.
15. To reheat, pop them in the microwave until warm (about 20 seconds).