Breakfast literally means to ‘break the fast’ between dinner and the meal once a person wakes up. The span of time between these two meals can be up to 12 hours and most of us still rush out the door without eating breakfast in the morning. A meal in the morning can jumpstart your metabolism for the day and improve your mood.
Now that it is warming up, I am back to my morning smoothies. While I don’t have specific measurements, here is my smoothie-making method.
To prepare my smoothie packs, usually on a Sunday afternoon, I gather the following items:
• Ziploc bags
• Large tub of Baby Spinach
• Frozen Fruit (when I am looking to make a large amount of smoothie bags, I purchase the Dole Mixed Fruit. It is a 6 pound bag that includes strawberries, pineapple, mango, peaches)
I rotate different fresh and frozen fruits each time it is time to prepare more smoothie packs. From fresh berries, to a blueberry-strawberry-banana combo, I like to change it up on a regular basis.
In each Ziploc, I include:
• 1-2 handfuls of Spinach
• 1-2 scoops of Frozen Fruit
• Half of a banana
Next, I load up the freezer drawer and they are ready to go – well, freeze – then go!
Fast forward to morning… Get out the Nutribullet, or blender of choice, and:
• Dump the contents of 1 Ziploc bag
• Add water, probably at least a cup to cover the fruit and spinach
• Add 1-2 spoonfuls of Greek Yogurt
• Add flaxseed, 1-2 Tbsp
Blend, and it is ready to go… out the door and onto work with me.
Find a nutritious, balanced breakfast that is right for you to jumpstart your day and boost your health. For recipes and other health information, visit shannonhealth.com.Tweet